Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bummer!

1999 U.S. Ladies Silver Medalist and 2007 Pairs Bronze Medalist Naomi Nari Nam has been forced to retire from competitive figure skating due to continued health concerns. Her partner, Themistocles Leftheris supports the decision and is currently looking for a new partner.

In an interview with Ice Network she said, "Recently, I received some sad news from my doctors," the 23-year-old said. "After successful hip surgery last year, the new cartilage in my hip is being compressed when I skate. By continuing, I risk damaging it again. So it is with heavy heart, and the consideration for my future health, that I have decided to retire from competitive skating."

What a shame! She has always been one of my favorite skaters from the first time I saw her to cheering for her even when she wasn't on top of her game. Naomi..we will all miss you! As I read the interview I found myself in tears.

"Skating has been a wonderful part of my life for as long as I can remember. It has afforded me opportunities for travel and a venue to perform for supportive audiences around the world. I am lucky to have fans that have always encouraged my efforts on the ice throughout the years."

You won't ever be forgot!



2 comments:

Rebekah Jaswa said...

This is very sad to hear, she will be missed...

Grace said...

I'm really sad about this =[ I loved her as a singles skater and was hoping to see her more in pairs this season.