Friday, February 13, 2009

BREAKING NEWS: Nagasu out of Junior Worlds

You may already have heard that Mirai Nagasu has withdrawn from the Junior World Championships set to take place later this month in Bulgaria.

It's probably a smart decision. She's been dealing with an ankle injury all season, but has been toughing it out, culminating with a gutsy performance at U.S. Nationals that placed her in 5th place.

She told U.S. Figure Skating, “After U.S. Championships, I met with my doctor and was advised to take some time off to heal. It was a very hard decision to make, but my doctor and I agreed that it was in my best interest.”

Given the magnitude of next season and a trip to Vancouver on the line, best to be fully healthy rather than dealing with a bum right ankle.

Mirai Nagasu's withdrawal sets the stage for Katrina Hacker, who will give her farewell performance in Sofia. Katrina has stated that she will not be skating competitively next season and will instead focus on her studies at prestigious Princeton University.

“I am very excited and honored to have the opportunity to compete at junior worlds,” Hacker told U.S. Figure Skating. “I wish Mirai a speedy recovery, and I hope to represent the United States as well as she would have.”

I certainly wish Mirai a speedy recovery as well.

No comments: