Tuesday, October 05, 2010

2009-2010 Top 10 Performances

The 2010-2011 Season is underway but last season was so much fun I wanted to take one last trip down memory lane and remember my favorite performances.

#10 - Savchenko & Szolkowy - 2009 Skate Canada Free Skate


After their rather poor showing at Trophee Eric Bompard they ditched their free skate and came up with this fine diddy that I just gushed over for like a month. One of the best Pair Free Skates ever!

#9 - Denney & Barrett - 2010 U.S. Nationals Free Skate


These two always get my blood pumping! They went full out enroute to their first National Title and a spot on the Olympic Team.

#8 - Kim Yu-Na - Trophee Eric Bompard Short Program


When I first saw this short program I was hooked! David Wilson created a masterpiece and Kim Yu-Na brought it to life. She schooled us in "Sexy Assassin 101."

#7 - Shen & Zhao - Grand Prix Final Free Skate


I was just ho-hum about this program until I saw it performed here. It just clicked for me and I thought it was gorgeous. Love how they hit the beat of every note of the music.

#6 - Daisuke Takahashi - 2010 World Championships Free Skate


After he reeled off that Quad Flip we all perked up and took notice! With Lysacek and Plushenko out of the way he had free reign on this competition!

#5 - Davis & White - 2010 U.S. Nationals Free Dance


Really, Tanith and Ben had just ripped their Free Dance....and then these two came and pushed it to a whole new level. I remember watching and just going..."Oh they won."

#4 - Sasha Cohen - 2010 U.S. Nationals Short Program


With one skate she shut everyone up (including me!) that doubted the sincerity of her attempt at a comeback. Shame the Free didn't go as well. Que sera sera...

#3 - Evan Lysacek - 2010 Winter Olympics Free Skate


Olympic Gold Medal...enough said.

#2 - Joannie Rochette - 2010 Winter Olympics Short Program

Veuillez installer Flash Player pour lire la vidéo

I've never been so emotionally moved by a performance in my life (which is weird...because it was a tango...think it was the energy in the arena) and never rooted so hard for a skater to do well...not sure if I ever will be again.

#1 - Jeremy Abbott 2010 U.S. Nationals Free Skate


Masterpiece on the ice. My favorite performance by a men's figure skater...ever!

There were so many other great performances to mention so I have an honorable mention section including Akiko Suzuki's Grand Prix Final Free Skate, Kim Yu-Na's Olympic Free Skate, Stephane Lambiel's European Free Skate, Virtue and Moir's Olympic Free Dance, Mao Asada's Olympic Short Program, and Adam Rippon's Four Continents Cup Free Skate.

4 comments:

Ice Charades said...

Since my viewing of the entire competitive season consisted of a few programs at US Nationals and a dozen or so at the Olympics - that had commentators in Spanish or none at all - I have no idea overall of who put out incredible performances for the year.

BUUUUTTTT, no mention of Johnny Weir's programs at the Olympics?

Aaron said...

Johnny's best performances last season were...pleasing. But I always feel short changed with him. I know he is capable of doing more on the ice than what he does. Everytime he had a solid performance I just found myself wishing he had harder technical elements and harder transitions in his choreography.

Anonymous said...

Can't argue with this list. I might shift a few around, but basically this is the top 10.

I love that the top 2 were more than just skating accomplishments.

Anonymous said...

Interesting list. Mostly I agree with you, except that I pick Yuna's Gershwin Olympic LP & Bond Medley SP as my NO 1 & NO 2. Whenever I,feeling blue, need "A thing of beauty" that gives me pure joy, I watch Yuna's performances. Then, magically I feel so relieved and happy :)