Monday, September 19, 2011

2011 Nebelhorn


This competition always gets me excited! I feel like it gets the major skating season underway even though Skate America is yet a month away...I don't care, I say begin! Skaters hit the ice Thursday.

This years' Nebelhorn I feel is like a show and tell. Show me what you've got and tell me if your worth it...if you will. What be I keepin' me eye on?

The Men: The Japanese upstart Yuzuru Hanyu and last season's surprise winner Tatsuki Machida. Looking to see if Hanyu has learned to reign in his excitement and add refinement and if Machida can bring the goods again. Denis Ten is competing and I'm still waiting for him to put an entire competition together and shock everyone. Last season was really a disaster for him...he needs a rebound. Michal Brezina, can he find his way to the top? And Americans Carriere and Aaron are in the mix. Stephen has been beset by so much bad luck the last two season's...is he back on track? And Aaron puts his foot in the "big boy" water...can he swim?

The Pairs: Newbies galore! Russia's Volosozhar and Trankov were amazing at last years' Worlds...can they keep it going? Dube and Wolfe...how will Jessica do with Sebastien as opposed to Bryce? And can Americans Denney and Coughlin live up to the hype?

The Women: If all things are equal this should boil down to Ksenia vs Mirai (in Figure Skating, things are often not equal though!). I think Mirai needs to win this...and I think she needs a big win.

The Dancers: Somewhat less explosive field. I'm interested to see how Hubbell and Donohue gel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the MEN, how about Michal BREZINA (CZE) who is 4th in 2011 world and seeded in this season?
And Tatsuki MACHIDA was 2nd in 2010 4CC.
Anyway, this year's Nebelhorn-Trophy is quite excited for me, too!

TheSkiBug Airport Transfers said...

As well as the skating championships there is also a famous annual mountain run held here each year.