Thursday, October 18, 2007

Pic of the Week

I guess I'm on a pairs skating frenzy here but for good reason...it's bloody good skating (thank you for allowing my Len Goodman moment!)!

I have very mixed feelings about the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Games. I feel kind of short changed in all the disciplines...I didn't get the results I really wanted but we did see some amazing performances! One such performance was that of Kyoko Ina and John Zimmerman.

I couldn't remember the last time John Zimmerman actually landed his side-by-side triple toe in competition. In the short program at the most important competition of his life (the music was Shine On, You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd) he gritted his teeth and landed it! Clean performance, it was amazing...but that wasn't even the end of it! Kyoko and John went on to have the free skate of their lives. The only mistake was a tiny little hand down from Kyoko on a side-by-side double axle. John hit the triple toe again, they hit both throw jumps, good energy, and the final lift (seen above) brought the crowd to their feet.

They finished 5th...but it was a bloody good 5th place, and one of the best American pair performances in recent memory!



No comments: