Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Pic of the Week

I received the coolest submission for one of my 1000 Greatest Moments on Ice. One reader suggested Swedish skater Vivi-Anne Hultén.

Besides being the 5 time Swedish Champ, she's medaled multiple times at World's and Europeans, and is the 1936 Olympic Bronze Medalist. She also had a storied rivalry with Norwegian Sonja Henie. All amazing accomplishments, but I don't think what makes her stand out in particular.

"I told them, 'I'm Swedish; I don't do that,'" Hultén said. "I just stared at him. He was a scary person. He looked at you with kind of a burning look in his eyes."

Who and what was she talking about? That would be Adolf Hitler. The 1936 Olympics took place in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and of course the German Chancellor at the time was Hitler. Upon winning the Bronze Medal, Hultén refused to salute Hitler.

Let's just say she made the evening news that night. Three cheers for standing up to baddies!

While her whole career she was overshadowed by Henie (and feuded with her often), I think she deserves some accolades of her own and some much needed attention.

No comments: