Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Op-Ed: Intimidated?

"I don't know about you guys, but I think that it's a little intimidating that an Olympic silver-medalist is coming back to compete against us."

This weekend all the who's who of would-be U.S. Olympic Vancouver competitors are in Chicago for a media summit (think of it as a pre-Vancouver Press Junket) and Mirai Nagasu said she was 'intimidated' by the return of Cohen...

Now I'm no sports psychologist but I don't think you should approach a competitor from a compromised position. If I were Nagasu, I would think Cohen should be intimidated, having not competed in a major international competition since March of 2006. Nagasu is giving Cohen the high ground and it makes Mirai's Olympic quest that much more difficult. If she's intimidated by Cohen, we can only assume that she's also intimidated by the likes of Kim, Asada, Rochette, Ando, etc...can't we? All of a sudden, one remark, and we're second guessing Nagasu's ability to compete.

I'm guessing that most if not all of the crew...Czisny, Flatt, Zhang, Wagner, Meissner, Hughes...are a bit uncertain about their Olympic prospects given Cohen's return. But unlike Nagasu, they're not making it the sound bite on the evening news.

Word of advice...sound and act confident, even if you're not.

No comments: