Friday, August 20, 2010

Off Easy?

This past week Nicole Bobek was sentenced to a five year probation and community service for her involvement in a meth ring that was busted over a year ago.

"I’ve been given this opportunity to make a change and also prove to myself that I can come out of the hole I dug myself into. I’m given this chance to make a difference, and hopefully help others who suffer from addiction problems; do benefits, get back on the ice, and continue with my treatment and do everything I need to do to change my life around," Nicole told NBC's Matt Lauer.

But now there is some push back that she got off way too easy for her involvement in the meth ring. Prosecutors had sought a one year jail sentence but the judge opted instead for probation and community service. She was charged with selling meth to Edward Cruz Jr. who was sentenced to 16 years in prison.

Over the course of the probation she is required to continue in a drug rehab program and must pass random drug screenings. Failure to comply will land her behind bars for 10 years.

Many pundits feel her celebrity helped her a little here. She had support from many including Jo Jo Starbuck. Too easy for the former skating sweetheart?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say whether or not she got off easy because I don't know what would have happened if she had not been a well known person. However, I do think she is a young woman who still has great potential and I hope she will be able to get back on track and fulfill that potential for a productive life. I loved to watch her skate when she was in her prime and I am sure she has many other talents to share with the world also.

Queen of the Road said...

In addition to being a rabid skating fan, I'm also a shrink who has treated a lot of addicted people. I'm not so sure she got off easy, here. I fear it might have been more of a favor to her if she had been sentenced to a year in jail. This isn't the first time she's been caught in something illegal, said she was sorry and got off easier than anyone else involved. It's possible that a year in jail would have taught her that even she is subject to serious consequences. I hope she's learned what she has to, but giving her yet another second chance is not necessarily the best way to teach her.

Let's hope she does learn from this and doesn't get the 10 years in prison at some point - or worse.