Thursday, November 03, 2011

Cup of China

We are literally hours away from the beginning of Cup of China. So before I go to bed only to rise at an early hour...a few thoughts about Cup of China.

Ice Dance
The field is lacking some depth so it should be a very easy road to victory for the World Bronze Medalists, Alex and Maia Shibutani. Another of the U.S. new teams makes a debut with Samuelson and Gilles hitting the ice. My guess is Bobrova and Soloviev come in a distant second and a fun little fight for third.

Men
I don't quite know how to handicap this one...Gachinski, Oda, Abbott...any could be the one to beat. Lurking in the background are Hanyu, Dornbush, and Reynolds. I'm rooting for Jeremy...last season was a little rough, this one needs to go better!

Pairs
I'm excited to see how Zhang and Zhang stack up against Kavaguti and Smirnov. I'm also excited to see how Evora and Ladwig figure in the mix. I'm hoping they have improved the technical elements.

Ladies
I think Carolina Kostner runs away with this title. Her programs are fantastic this season and is skating great. Her biggest challenge will probably be Kanako Murakami. Team USA has potential to do well but I'm not holding my breath. Sotnikova? Young Russians would appear to be on a roll...?

1 comment:

Twizzle said...

Well, it should've been for ice dancing. But instead, a surprise for the Russians, cannot believe it. You can check out my blog if you want to see some bashing ;)